Topics to be Discussed
Please add topics and start the discussion.
Simulation / Evaluation
- Data sets for driving pub/sub and event processing research
- For a start:
- Benchmarks for evaluating pub/sub and other event-based systems
- What are good performance metrics for pub/sub systems?
- What are realistic models for workload generation?
- What is a solid methodology for evaluating pub/sub systems?
- Interoperability among pub/sub systems (e.g., agreed data formats for pub/sub)
- Can we connect Siena via Hermes and Rebecca to Elvin, Padres and ToPSS and others?
- For a start:
- Brainstorm on applications, testbeds, and large deployments
- How can we bring up a world-wide pub/sub network?
Can we run a generic and public pub/sub system on PlanetLab?
- What are killer applications for distributed event-based systems?
- How can event-based systems help build global sensor networks?
- How can small-scale actuator/sensor networks (e.g., in an e-home scenario) profit from pub/sub?
- Think about joint research efforts and projects between groups
- What sources of joint funding exist?
Future of Distributed Pub/Sub Systems
- Identify research and engineering challenges in the context of pub/sub et al.
- What are exciting research challenges that the community should look at?
- What research topics have been neglected in the past?
- Unification - pub/sub is actually an overlay structure on delay-tolerant networks; need to explore the synergy of pub/sub and DTNs when modeled and implemented in this way
- One-size-fits-all usually fits nothing particularly well; in addition to sharing events across systems, we need to further explore how a PS system designed for constrained environments (e.g. sensor networks) can federate with PS systems designed that do not suffer from similar constraints.
- How can we expand the DEBS community to include researchers from related fields?
- How do we relate to efforts in stream processing systems, event processing, software engineering, ...?
- How do we want to position ourselves as a community?